8/14/09

Some more....

"I hear we're going to get a big project soon." Damon added in. A chorus of groans and 'boo's followed. "What? No one cares about work anymore?" he joked.

"Not while we're on our night together, outside of that dingy building." Dessa retaliated.

The rest of the playful banter was washed into the background to Aya. She was scanning the crowd, looking at all the groups of people together. Her eyes settled on one lone man, a dark pool in the otherwise colorful scene. As if in a trance, she slid off her seat and made her way over to the man.

When Aya was only a few paces away the stranger looked up and into her eyes. She took a sharp breath in. She was met with brilliant blue eyes and a face so pale it couldn't be healthy. Aya had to blink a few times to make sure she wasn't hallucinating. "Who are you?" She asked slowly and deliberately.

The figure opened his mouth, and paused for a second, unsure. "I can't tell you. In fact, I shouldn't even be here. I'll find you later." He said and vanished.

Aya was left standing there, utterly confused. She let out a frustrated sigh. "Why? Seriously." She muttered and walked back to her seat. As if just working through the clues wasn't enough, she had to have disappearing people. Aya settled back down in her seat and tried to focus on her friends. Hopefully they didn't notice her slight disappearance.

Through the evening, Aya struggled to put the disappearing man away from center stage in her mind. However, once she did, the rest of the night was a breeze. In fact, most of her problems with this mystery got pushed back.

"You know, tonight was amazing." Aya gushed to Damon. The get-together was over and every decided to split. However, Damon figured this was the best time to get closer.

"It was, but you seemed a little distracted." He commented.

"It's a long story, really. You could ask Nia about it sometime. She knows whats up." Aya got out her key and opened the door to her apartment. "Come on in."

Damon followed her in and closed the door behind himself. "Thanks. It's a nice place you've got." He said, making his way through.

Aya nodded a thanks, "You can go ahead and sit down." She motioned. "Do you want something to drink, eat?" Aya asked, already in the kitchen, getting ready to make some tea.

"Hmm? Oh yeah, just give me a cup of what you're having." He answered somewhat distantly. He noticed the objects lined on the coffee table, and was fixated on them.

Moments later, Aya handed him a cup of tea. "Here you go." She took a sip of her own. "That's part of why I was distracted tonight." Aya added, nodding toward the stuff on her table. She settled down on the couch next to Damon. "Like I said, it's a long story."

Damon nodded and took a sip. "It seems like it'd be a very enjoyable story. I'd like to hear it sometime." He took in a deep breath, "Would you like to tell it to me this Saturday, maybe over some coffee?"

Aya smiled, "Yeah, sure. Around one maybe?"

"Sounds great." Damon smiled back. He tried to stifle a yawn, but didn't succeed. "It's getting late. I think I'll head home and I'll see you tomorrow at work." He added, putting his half finished cup down.

"Alright. I'll see you tomorrow." Aya said goodbye and closed the door. She turned around and was met with those blue eyes she could never forget. She jumped back, startled.

"Finally. I thought he'd never leave."

"Who are you?" Aya asked, sharply and impatiently.

"Like I said before, I can't tell you." He said, heading towards the living room. "It really is a shame that a pretty girl like you isn't taking this challenge seriously."

"What do you mean? Of course I'm taking it seriously!" Aya protested,
following. She didn't trust this guy one bit.

"Hmm. If you say so." He picked up the penguin figurine.

"What are you doing? Put that down!"

"Very well," He obeyed. "I don't suppose you know where your friend is, do

you?"

Aya felt confused. "It's late, she's probably at home. Where you should be,
too." She added the last part with force.

"Oh, I don't have a home, silly. However, if you so wish, I shall leave you alone."

"Yes. Go. Leave." She replied bitterly. And with that, he was gone. Aya let out a sigh and decided the night had gone on long enough. From the second she crawled into bed, sleep washed over her.

2 comments:

Aly K. said...

EPICNESSS!!!! I am left in suspense. Do continue, please do!

And the romance wasn't that corny. It worked. 8) :D

katara5 said...

:D

haha, It was going to get cornier.. (even though that's not a word). But then I was like, "Uh.... no." and changed it. Isn't that epic? lol.

I shall continue.... maybe... but this is fun, so I think I will continue. :P :P