1/25/09

Continuation of first post

By the next morning, I had slept for way too long, and missed too many calls. I noticed my mom had called, and so had a friend. I listened to the voice mail she sent and called her back. As I was waiting for her to pick up, I glanced over my calendar.
“Hello.”
“Oh, hey. I’m just returning the call…”
“Well, Lola, I was wondering, if you’d mind if I came over. I mean, there’s some news around, and I want to see if it’s true.” She told me.
I walked over to my calendar and stared at it aimlessly. My eyes jumped to a date I had circled about a million times in red marker. The seventeenth. “Hey, what day is it?” I asked abruptly, forgetting that I should answer her question first.
There was some papers rustling before I heard, “The tenth… I think.”
I nodded, “Ok, yeah, you can come over whenever you want. I’m fine.” I answered. Carefully, I took a pen and crossed off the other days. It was not long until I realized that my friend had hung up. The dial tone rang into my ear loudly.
It was only a few minutes before I heard the doorbell ring. Running down the stairs, I knew I should’ve changed. Shrugging it off, I answered the door. “Hey, come on in.”
“Thanks.” She said, looking around the living room.
“Do you want anything to eat, or drink?” I asked, already headed to the kitchen.
“Nah. I’m good.” I could hear a slight hesitation in her voice.
“You sure?” I asked, pouring myself some lemonade.
“Yeah. I’m sure.” She paused for a moment, and shifted. “Well, since there is no easy way to ask this… wanna come over to my house tonight? I’m going to have a few friends over…” She trailed off.
I stood there, frozen. The last party seemed like weeks ago… but it wasn’t that long. The voice in my head was begging me not to. Another was telling me to go out and have as much fun as I could. “I… I’m not sure.” I hesitated greatly.
“Come on, it’ll be really mellow. Don’t worry. It’ll be fine.” It was like she could read why I was hesitating.
I sucked in a deep breath. Before answering, I let it out slowly, “Sure. What time?” I asked.
“Around six or seven-ish. It doesn’t really matter.”
I nodded, “OK. I guess I can make it.” I sipped some of my lemonade.
She smiled widely, “Great. Here’s my address.” She handed me a piece of paper with her address scrawled messily on it.
I smiled back at her. If it made her happy, then… what harm could it do?
“Well, I guess I’ll be heading home…” She trailed off, as if she wasn’t ready to leave.
“Ok. I’ll see you in a few hours, then…” I wasn’t sure if I wanted to her to leave. There was something that told me there was more. But, I didn’t have much time to dwell on it.
“Dare You to Move” Switchfoot

I nervously rang my friend’s doorbell. It felt ominous standing here again. I fidgeted with the zipper on my jacket. It seemed like a bad idea now. I took in a shaky breath and let it out as she opened the door.
“Hey, glad you could make it! Come on in Lola.” She practically pulled me through the doorway.
I smiled gratefully, “Hey, what’s up?” I surveyed who was there. No one I knew. An alarm was going off in my head. I struggled to mute it. I did not need it know. I needed to be with my friends and I needed to enjoy myself.
“Oh, nothing really. Here. Sit down. Make yourself at home.”
I settled into the couch. The only open spot, settled between the armrest and a guy. I felt uneasy. My palms began to sweat a little. I gulped down my fear and tuned into the conversation. I hoped no one asked for my name.
I tried my best to pay attention. But the words kept flying over my head. I couldn’t keep the uneasy feeling down for long. I was just about to get up and leave when my friend came in to check on us.
“How’s it going? Anyone want anything to drink?”
There were a chorus of ‘fine’ and ‘yes’. I personally did not say a thing. Everything was too jumbled up for me to respond in a timely manner. I just sunk back lower into the couch and sighed.
Soon enough, my friend came back with a whole bunch of drinks. I shrugged and mumbled thanks as I was handed a drink. Taking a sip, I didn’t think twice about what I have always been warned. These people seemed nice, I mean, from the jumbled conversation, nothing too bad was going on.
I started to pay closer attention. Nothing was too bad. I began to feel a little more at ease. Though, things did start to look… off. I was going to question it… until I felt the guy next to me touch my leg. It’s been so long since I’ve actually had contact with a guy.
Settling down, I turned to him. Not too bad. I mean, definitely not Dave, but certainly an option. He had messy dirty blonde hair, brown eyes and tanned skin. He seemed so at ease. And happy. I couldn’t help but smile looking at him.
He gave me smile and pulled me in closer. It felt good resting on him. Of course, considering I hadn’t seen Dave in forever, I might as well enjoy my time with any guy I could. I snuggled in closer, feeling the warmth. I didn’t care what anyone was saying. I guess it was kind of obvious that I was with Dave.
He began to run his hand through my hair. My cheeks flushed red, by deep down… I knew I wanted it. But, even deeper down, I felt bad about it. What if Dave found out? I pushed that thought back. No need to think about it. I could handle it when the time came.
I gulped down a bit more of my drink. Then I felt this weird taste… it was just off. It did not taste normal. I tried unsuccessfully to hide my displeasure. But, try as I might, the guy I was leaning on noticed.
“You OK there?” he asked, and my heart fluttered just ever so slightly.
I looked up at him, studying his face closely. “Yeah, I think I’m fine…” I trailed off, yawning. Things had just become too hectic for me to handle.
As the night flew forward, I found myself to become more social. The conversation skipped to many weird and random things. Most of it left a smile on my face; it made me forget everything that was going on.
My phone vibrated in my pocket, and it almost made me jump out of my seat. Everything flooded back as I read the name on the caller ID. Angrily, I threw my phone down and walked out of the room.
I didn’t care what they thought. I didn’t care if someone found my phone. I just didn’t care anymore. Zipping up my jacket, I practically ran.
“Hold on!” I heard someone shouting behind me.
I turned on my heel to look who it was- the guy who I was sitting next to. He was running towards me, holding something in his tight grip. My phone. “What?” I asked harshly.
“No need to be so upset. But here, you dropped it.” He said softly, and handed me my phone.
There was an awkward silence as I took my phone and put it in my pocket. I stood there, not really thankful that I had my phone back.
“So, are ya gonna come back to the party? It wouldn’t be the same without you there, you know.” He said, finally breaking the silence.
I shook my head, “Probably not. I think I just need some time to… just relax.” I didn’t even think about how I was going to do that.
“Well, maybe this will help.” In the dim light I couldn’t really tell what it was. But, I felt the plastic of both objects. I could only guess. And, I think I already knew.
I nodded, “Alright. Well…. Bye.” I turned around and walked back to my house. I opened the door, and as usual, darkness greeted me. I climbed up the stair and flopped down onto my bed. I took out my phone and what he had given me. A lighter… and that’s when I knew what the other object was. I closed my eyes and pulled it out. Yep, a pack of cigarettes. Well, I shrugged, might as well give it a shot. I mean, I’ve heard of some people saying how it always calms them down.
I felt my phone vibrate again. I fumbled around for my phone again. Without looking who was calling, I answered the call.

1 comment:

Aly K. said...

Uh-oh... this girl is just in waaay too deep. *hugs Lola*

DON'T DO IT!

Good writing. Can't wait for the next chappie. ^^